Monday, May 14, 2012

Time.

      Time is of the essence, they always say...but when it flies by quicker than a wink, you realize exactly what "they" mean! I've been working on sketches and finished illustrations for The Daughters of Minerva as I'd mentioned in my last blog, but I feel I'm falling behind somehow. Isn't that what we constantly do to ourselves? Question our accomplishments without taking stock of exactly how much we've accomplished?! I'm as guilty of this as the next guy...but no more!
       Se e` cosi` e` cosi`...it is what it is! That's what my family in Sicily always tells me and I understand the logic ... whatever you do, whatever you accomplish ... it will be enough! We set inhuman standards for ourselves then chastise ourselves for not being superhuman ... incredible! But no more. I'm going to cut myself some slack and work at whatever pace is necessary to complete these next two books. The Daughters of Minerva is my priority, but I'm constantly coming up with ideas for The Moon Upstairs as well, which will be my next venture into the world of children's books ... I'm having success (so far!) with There's A Crazy Dog Under the Palace!, and I'm looking into various ways to market my book ... I believe eReaders will be the next realm to conquer ... after that?...well, I'm sure I'll find some other emergency to address!

        Here are several completed illustrations for The Daughters of Minerva: my last blog featured the cover design and the lady Messalina, wife of the emperor Claudius, and her exploits into the world of infidelity as told in The Fiery Thread. I'm always amazed and boggled by what history reveals to me ... the problems of the past are essentially the problems of the present ... the people of the past were as confused and misguided as we ourselves tend to be in the present, but many times their crimes and their punishments were more severe! But there were good and virtuous people as well ... the intent of our book is to examine the good and the bad ... to show a unique cross-section of the women of Rome and how they affected history and folklore. The Moon Goddess will feature an actress by the name of Cytheris ... she has Rome in her grasp and with every performance, finds a way to transfix and transport the people into another world in which, for a brief moment, they can forget their troubles and strife and enjoy the fantasy as it unfolds. This illustration portrays her enactment of the legend of Artemis and Aktaeon ... Artemis the goddess has been bathing with her handmaidens nearby when she is spied upon by Aktaeon the hunter out with his hounds ... she throws water into his face and transforms him into a stag so he cannot reveal to other mortals what he has seen ... and his ultimate judgement is rendered by his hounds as they tear him from limb to limb! This scene has a more gentle effect in its telling, with an actor behind Cytheris portraying Aktaeon's tranformation into a stag, while one of his hounds (our sweet 'ol boy Chaos!) looks on lovingly at Artemis ... even the young stagehand is bewitched by her charm and beauty!
         Next we find the lovers Catallus the poet, and the object of his desire ... the domina Clodia in a segment entitled The Silver Horse. They meet upon the steps of the Temple of Vesta during the week of Saturnalia (a winter celebration, where the aristocrats serve their slaves, gifts are exchanged and parties abound) ... she cherishes her ring made by metalsmith Lucius Silva (from our soon to be re-released book, Ferrum/Iron!) and the image of Pegasus which stares back at her ... a gift from her love which is reflected in the clouds above as the soft rains make them seek shelter! Last is a compositional sketch for To Scatter Radiant Flowers ... this is the story of Octavia, sister of Octavian aka Augustus Caesar, as they listen to the poet Virgil read his words of praise and comfort, describing Octavia's recently deceased son, Marcellus ... she promptly faints but has her brother by her side.
           When we look into the past, we're looking into a mirror of our own lives ... our hopes, our fears, our dreams. The outcome may or may not be pleasant, but we can learn much from their tales of the past... if only we take the time to listen to what's being said! Until next time ... enjoy!
davide!

No comments:

Post a Comment