Thursday, April 14, 2011

Friends and Family aka Models





When I began doing research for people to draw for my first book, Mythology, I called upon my next door neighbor to play the part of Herakles for several reasons. First, he had a great face for the character (I later decided to use another view so that theory went out the window!), and second he had the perfect physique for the role ... in short, he was a ready-made model! He consented to help me and I explained that he was to pose as if he were holding up a massive weight, which in the myth of Herakles and his labour to obtain the Golden Apples of the Hesperides meant he was temporarily holding up the Heavens for Atlas. He must've felt silly posing with his arms outstretched, but he humored me, it worked beautifully, and the results are posted here!  I made my first debut as Polyphemos the Cyclopes!

Friends and family can be invaluable when you're looking for someone to draw. Of course you must be thinking about what you're striving to achieve with your illustration and whether you've chosen the right person for that role... and you've got to have their consent!  I've yet to be disappointed with my choices ... and time after time, I can't resist playing the ham and getting my schnauzola into the action as well ... the second sample is from my third book, Dark of the Sun, which chronicles the last moments of the people of Pompeii and Herculaneum when Vesuvius erupted on August 24th, 79AD. I loved playing the role of Dr. Hanuman in Salva Sis/May You Be Well ... he's a man weary from treating soldiers on the battlefield, usually with limbs missing ... then oneday he treats a little slave girl who's fallen while running from the first soft pumice rocks as they rain down upon Pompeii. My wife, my brother in law, even my cousins abroad ... all have helped me in my quest to tell a story and I thank them all! The little girl in Salva Sis is Sandy Sposito, the daughter of my cousin Giuseppina in Sicily! The third sample is also from Dark of the Sun, but has myself and creative brother, Malcolm Deeley smiling like a couple of goofy guys in the background of the crowd. We couldn't resist!

This still holds true for my latest work-in-progress, There's A Crazy Dog Under the Palace, as the main character, princess Jasmine is my black labrador! See? A live-in model! Even better! An artist or writer should use whatever references he or she needs and feels comfortable with while creating their vision. In the end, your confidence and your project will exceed your expectations! Ci vediamo!

2 comments:

  1. I love all these illustrations, especially the one of 'Princess Jasmine'-- those eyes! I feel like I am looking right into her soul :)

    It makes complete sense to me that artists would use friends and family as models for their work-- I've always considered artisty to be putting a bit of your heart and soul on paper... and friends and family definitely fit that bill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally loved standing in front of the graffiti wall in Pompeii with you, brother. We look splendid in Roman attire, I must say! And I love how you have brought so many images of friends and family into your books. It brings such marvelous emotion and connection to your works. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete