Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Once Upon A Time...

Yesterday I talked about how an artist (or any person of creative aptitude) might get an idea to develop into a project. It's really hard to put your finger on "the moment of enlightenment," and sometimes and it seems the harder you try, the less likely you are to find that lightning bolt you're looking for! Still, consider this thought ... I didn't draw (no pun intended but it's fun to say anyway!) my inspiration for this book from watching television, the internet, an iPhone, or the latest 3G, 4G, Infinity-and-Beyond gadget ... it came from a Sicilian limmerick parents have been teaching their children for (most likely) over 100 years! Even more astounding (to me anyway) is the fact that this creative opportunity would never have been triggered had I not discovered my long-lost family ties in Sicily!

That makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. No espresso necessary!

I've learned not to question a good idea too loudly ... I just shut up and greedily pull it to me like Scrat the prehistoric squirrel from the IceAge movies! You may sit on an idea for a week, a month, or years before you're ready to let it take flight, but that doesn't matter as long as you find that idea!

More later....ciao!

1 comment:

  1. I really like the though that even if you don't move forward with an idea immediately when you find it (or it finds you!) it will stay with you until you allow it to flourish. ...And I definitely appreciate what you said about your inspiration not coming from any flashy media/technology -- sometimes I feel like all the outside influence overwhelms me and drowns out my creative voice. (A little bit of "un-plugging" is good for us all!)

    ReplyDelete